[P1] Dead AirPort

Daniel Galley danielgalley at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 23 16:26:36 PST 2003

le 24/01/03 0:53, Bill Raffensperger à raffy at macsrule.com a écrit :

> My AirPort Base Station arrived in November 1999. Back then we were
> using a MacSense router hooked up to a Global Village 56K modem. The
> ABS was used as an access point for the tangerine iBook to join our
> network of two desktop Macs and a printer.  It wasn't too long until we
> retired the GV modem and the MacSense router.  The ABS, plugged into a
> hub, became our network. We used the ABS modem until July 2001, when
> DSL arrived. The trusty ABS functioned as the router until yesterday
> when it died.
>
> First it started acting up by resetting every now and then. You'd have
> a network connection, then it would be gone. Then it would come back,
> then disappear again. Watching the lights on the ABS, it would just
> shut off, then reboot, then work OK for a few minutes, then repeat. I
> called Apple Care last night at 6:30 p.m. EST.
>
> They used the Apple Care from my iBook 600, and said they would send me
> a new one in 7-10 days. An original grey ABS arrived today, a little
> past noon, not quite 18 hours after my phone call.  I packed up the old
> one and called Airborne and it is already gone. The network (seven Macs
> and a printer) is up, just like normal. Pretty dang amazing.

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.  <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> ----------
> --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

> |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.

I am just having the same experience and experienced the very same kind of
problems.
Under Apple Care Apple made an exchange and in no time sent me a new ABS V1
apparently refurbished.
Unfortunately they were not so quick at acknowledging the very same problem
happening in a mere few days with the second ABS.
They sai some weirtd app shoul do the trick and tried to lead me to think
AOL was the pb whch I do not believe and the less so because a friend of
mine with no AOL is experiencing the same reboot thing (BTW he is using an
ABS with 2 PCs and no Mac).
I will soon try to call Aplle once again (the type of contact you may have
with them is very dependant on luck or whetehr you can speak to a kind and
competent person or a harsh and contemptuous tech rep);;
What do you think about the so called hard reset they may happen to advise
you to perform?

Many thanks.

--
Daniel Galley
125 Avenue Franchet d'Espérey 81000 Albi
danielgalley at wanadoo.fr