[P1] internet and email problems after waking up from sleep

George Slusher gslusher at appleisp.net
Mon Jan 27 14:10:19 PST 2003

>Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a known bug?
>
>When I wake my iBook up from sleep and there was a program running before I
>put it to sleep, I can make an airport connection to my ISP fine (dialup)
>but when I try to call up emails or a page in a browser I just get the
>spinning beachball and then after 2 minutes or so an error dialog box...It
>seems that when there are no programs running when I put the Book to sleep
>afterwards there is also no problem...
>
>Usually acts up when I was leave Entourage X or Acrobat Reader 5 open before
>putting to sleep.
>
>iBook 700 (Sept. 2002)
>640 MB RAM
>20 GB HD
>10.2.3 only
>
>any ideas?
>
>TIA,
>
>Richard
>--

Talk to your ISP. There is a problem with the Mac TCP/IP software (at
least in OS 9 & earlier--I don't know if it affects OS X) where it won't
track something that the ISP changes dynamically every so often. (I can't
remember the right acronym or terminology--perhaps one of our experts
here will know.) The symptoms can strike even while connected: suddenly,
I can't get to any web page or email box. The Mac cannot find the ISP's
domain name server (DNS). The solution is to either restart or
disconnect, quit all communications programs, then make a change to the
TCP/IP settings and then change them back. For example, it usually works
if I change to another location with Location Manager and then change
back. It will also usually work by changing the TCP/IP option from "Using
PPP" to anything else, closing TCP/IP, then opening it again and changing
it back. (Be careful, though--this can result in losing the information
in the setting, so be sure to write down the stuff (e.g., DNS address,
account & password). Restarting the computer is the easiest way to
resolve the problem. (In OS 9 & earlier, it's actually a good idea to
restart the Mac routinely, e.g., when you leave it for a while, take a
break, etc.). That can help avoid crashes due to cumulative problems.
This is especially true if you're running with a relatively small amount
of RAM.

I also found an applescript that is supposed to cycle TCP/IP off and back
on, but I haven't tried it.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com