[P1] iBook 700mhz and Jaguar problems

Basil Bourque basilbourque at mac.com
Mon Jan 27 14:14:04 PST 2003

> I posted a week or so ago with the battery-remaining-time problem
> since upgrading 10.2.3.  Thanks for the replies.  I also stated that
> the kaliedoscope icon came up more than usual..seems like everything
> processed slower.  I loaded iPulse (a great program) from the Icon
> Factory that shows processor use, disk access, etc...doesn't
> neccessarily relate to the problem from what I can see.  Thought it
> was just me at first, but..... it takes just under 10 minutes to cold
> boot!!!  My old 603e with a 40mhz bus is faster!!  It was a no brainer
> to load from the two disks.  How could I have done something wrong?

So you applied the Jaguar update over a Mac OS 10.1 system? Most weird
problems seem to happen on upgraded systems as opposed to those with a
"clean install" (back up your stuff to another disk, wipe out your hard
disk by re-formatting, and then install Jaguar on the blank hard drive).

Before taking that drastic measure, try zapping your PRAM and resetting
the Power Manager.

To zap PRAM:
http://docs.info.apple.com/
article.html?artnum=2238&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.c
om%2Fcgi-
bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted
&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey
=false&sessionID=anonymous%7C162966888

To reset Power Manager:
http://docs.info.apple.com/
article.html?artnum=14449&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.
com%2Fcgi-
bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted
&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey
=false&sessionID=anonymous%7C162966888

You can find these links by going to http://www.apple.com/support/ to
search on "PRAM" or "Power Manager".

--Basil Bourque