[P1] Hot Spots in the U.S.

Pam Sorooshian pamsoroosh at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 30 09:54:30 PST 2003

There is a place I go a couple of times a week where I use my iBook. As
soon as I open it, new mail downloads because somebody in the building
has a wireless network.

So - are you saying that if I don't PREVENT that from happening, it is
your opinion that I'm breaking the law?

That seems a bit like saying that if I lower my car window and hear the
music from somebody else's radio, that I've "stolen" it.

I'm thrilled that Long Beach, California, where I live - is providing
areas of the city that have free public wireless access. One 4 square
block area - a big downtown area - is already up and running and
they'll be setting up others soon. They'll have a portal page that will
have advertising for businesses right there in the area - this seems
like a great idea to me. If I'm sitting in one place and want to know
where to go buy something - I'd look at that page to see if there was
somewhere right in the vicinity - it is very high quality advertising
space, imo, and I bet the city will come out ahead on this.

Starbucks is everywhere - but I think t-mobile is a bit expensive for
us regular people to use their service very often. I'd think that
competing coffeehouses would find it to their advantage to offer some
level of free or less expensive service. Hope that'll happen one of
these days.

--pam

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 07:51 AM, Jack Rodgers wrote:

> On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 02:17  AM, George Slusher wrote:
>
>> The opinions
>> expressed here seem to be more what someone HOPES is true, rather than
>> what he/she KNOWS is true.
>
> The opinions that it is perfectly OK are based on the desire to get
> something for nothing and then find an excuse to prove it is OK. These
> posters would be terribly upset if while eating in a restaurant
> someone picked up their beverage and drank it and said, you weren't
> using, it you were eating.
>
> Attorney's opinions are not the law of the land and they are often
> found incorrect at the Supreme Court level. Case law, results of
> trials, are more to the point.
>
> To alter an old joke, What do you call someone who graduated last in
> his class from the worst law school in the country and passed the bar
> on his 12th attempt by one point?
>
> ...a lawyer
>
> ---
> Lobate Black Scale -- A Photo Essay By Jack Rodgers
> http://www.jackrodgers.com

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> ----------
>  --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>                |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>   RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20
> Traveler  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at
> <http://roadtools.com>

> <http://www.macresq.com>

Pam Sorooshian
The National Home Education Network