[P1] Ttly OT: Fiji exercises internet censorship !!!

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Jul 2 06:24:54 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 01:09  AM, Pat D.Stephens wrote:

> Chas,
>
> Your quote reminds me of an experience I had on the QE2 during a
> Pacific adventure a couple of years ago.  They had a PC room for us to
> use and I told the monitor that I was a Mac user, not a PC person and
> asked permission to check my email.  He agreed and since he taught
> classes told me to come at will and if a machine was available, for me
> to just sit down and use it.  One day, I strolled in and he had about
> 15 machines,but about 10 people that he was teaching...and came over
> and apologized about 5 of them being 'messed up' and he was awaiting
> the ship's engineer to come and fix them.  Seems that during the night
> some kids had come in and put them into and endless loop.  I sat
> there, staring at one while it did it's thing...then, I cut the power
> button and waited then rebooted it.  Lo, and behold, it was fixed!
> The fellow (former professor of computer science at an Eastern U) came
> by just then and asked me what I'd done, and I told him quite honestly
> that I was a Mac person and might have ruined it.  He laughed and
> asked me to 'fix' the others the same way.  He seemed shocked (and I
> never knew if it was my lack of respect for the Windows machines, or
> my gall) but I 'fixed' all of them and did my email and left, very
> quietly.

The professor was obviously a software person - that was a hardware
problem!! Sheesh - the first thing any decent tech does is turn off the
machine to see if rebooting fixes the problem.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David