[P1] Airport Base Station trouble

Michael Adams bulk at michaeladams.org
Wed Jul 2 16:54:06 PDT 2003

david wrote:

> I don't have the serial number range to hand - its at the office - but
> there is a known problem with a batch of base stations. These base
> stations have an inadequate capacitor which begins to die due to
> heat/age. The affected base stations either begin frequent crashes or
> simply die. Apple extended the warranty of these units and I think the
> extended warranty is still in effect. Also, you can find instructions
> online for doing the repair yourself. I've done several of them - it
> is pretty easy. This is probably your problem.

Thanks,

I went and had a look on the web and it would appear to be numbers in
the range PW940... to PW952... but mine is PW131..., so it would seem
that I'm out of luck there.

A couple more observations though...
1) When I reloaded the firmware, I left it with WEP turned on. Before I
had it turned off, and I believe that runs for longer between crashes
with WEP turned off. I seem to remember reading that WEP along with NAT
are rather CPU intensive... could I be working the little beasty too
hard and over heating it?

2) Also, the unit does get warm. Not burning hot, but warm enough that
you can feel it if you place your hand on the outer surface.

What's the warranty on these? I've only just bought this from overseas
and I've got no idea when it was purchased, but I do have AppleCare on
my iBook... would this mean the base station is still covered?

--Michael.

PS: I was going to reply to this last night, but between downloading my
mail and clicking send, the thing had crashed again... 4th time in 12 hours!