[P1] Airport Base Station trouble

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Jul 2 18:38:57 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 07:54  PM, Michael Adams wrote:

> david wrote:
>
>> I don't have the serial number range to hand - its at the office -
>> but there is a known problem with a batch of base stations. These
>> base stations have an inadequate capacitor which begins to die due to
>> heat/age. The affected base stations either begin frequent crashes or
>> simply die. Apple extended the warranty of these units and I think
>> the extended warranty is still in effect. Also, you can find
>> instructions online for doing the repair yourself. I've done several
>> of them - it is pretty easy. This is probably your problem.
>

> Thanks,
>
> I went and had a look on the web and it would appear to be numbers in
> the range PW940... to PW952... but mine is PW131..., so it would seem
> that I'm out of luck there.
>
> A couple more observations though...
> 1) When I reloaded the firmware, I left it with WEP turned on. Before
> I had it turned off, and I believe that runs for longer between
> crashes with WEP turned off. I seem to remember reading that WEP along
> with NAT are rather CPU intensive... could I be working the little
> beasty too hard and over heating it?
>
> 2) Also, the unit does get warm. Not burning hot, but warm enough that
> you can feel it if you place your hand on the outer surface.
>
> What's the warranty on these? I've only just bought this from overseas
> and I've got no idea when it was purchased, but I do have AppleCare on
> my iBook... would this mean the base station is still covered?

Yep, they do get warm. Go ahead and give Apple a call. AppleCare for an
iBook covers a base station. Like you, I bought a used unit when I
bought my iBook and the base station died about 3 months after I bought
it. It fried big time. Apple sent a box for it and about a week later
another unit arrived.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David