Accidental battery life development

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Mon Jul 7 20:54:21 PDT 2003

There's been an interesting (accidental) development with my battery
life that I thought worth mentioning here:

I have a Key Lime iBook with the original battery it was purchased
with; the battery is about three years old by now, and has seen
consistent, almost daily use. The battery has been slowly losing it's
capacity (switching to OS X hasn't helped matters much), to the point
where it was down to about a half-hour between charges. (I'd been
consistently draining the battery as much as possible between charges;
but with the diminished battery life, I've just been charging it
whenever it isn't in use.) The usual remedy of resetting the power
manager hadn't made a difference.

Over the holiday weekend, I left the iBook (unplugged, with battery
fully charged) in sleep mode for about three and a half days; when I
returned, I used up the remaining battery power, and plugged the iBook
back in to recharge the battery. What's interesting is now I find I
have slightly improved battery capacity; about an hour instead of a
half-hour.

I've discharged the battery completely on numerous occasions (by actual
use, not just leaving the computer in sleep mode), but it never made
any difference. I'm tempted to shift all my current files to another
computer and leave the iBook in sleep mode for a week, to see if it
makes any further improvement. (An additional thirty minutes may not
sound like much, but it doubled my battery life!)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net

(And yes, I know I need a new battery.)