[P1] OT: Software Licensing

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 9 13:25:09 PDT 2003

On 7/9/03 2:27 PM, "Harry D.  Corsover" <harry at corsazzi.com> wrote:

> There is no way
> that I'm going to buy two copies of an application that only I use.

This was kicked around on the list extensively about 7 or 8 months ago. I
was as surprised as you were to hear that I was often breaking the law every
time I put a piece of software on both my notebook and my desktop. Of course
this hasn't stopped me from doing it, but I was surprised to hear it wasn't
legit.

But to your point about buying two copies of each piece of software, that's
not what the companies ask. I believe most companies offer a single user
license or a multi-user license when you make your purchase. You don't have
to buy two copies and pay double the price, just buy a multi-user license
when you first purchase, and then you can load it on several computers
legitimately.

I've not done this to date, but that's the process. It's even true for
Jaguar, I believe. You might check the Apple site for details.

Brian