[P1] OT: Software Licensing

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Jul 9 14:48:45 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 03:34  PM, Jack Rodgers wrote:

>>  ACD Systems expects me to buy two
>> copies of Canvas 9 for both computers even though I only use one
>> Canvas at a
>> time.
>
> Software...what a thing...it has made thieves, complainers and mad
> people out of so many of us, including me.
>
> We don't complain about nor expect to use a set of tires on more than
> one vehicle nor to be able to eat that $50 dinner more than once nor
> to watch every movie in a theater on the one ticket (some theaters
> have 10 or 20 screens showing different movies) even though we might
> try to sneak into another movie. But we will complain about a $50
> piece of software license and that we can only use it on one
> computer...

Your analogies don't cut it. I'm not asking to consume something twice
and only pay once. I own two Macs which can run the same software, just
as I own two 2002 Saturns. If I wanted, I could buy 4 Michelins and
move them from one Saturn to the other. My Michelin 'license' doesn't
restrict me to just one car. Sure, it would be silly to trade the tires
from one car to the other, but I'm not restricted by Michelin from
doing so. Similarly, when I went to Sears for a new set of wrenches,
the salesman didn't ask me which car I intended using them on. I can
use them how I choose.

What software companies are increasingly doing are restricting how I am
permitted to use what I have legitimately bought. Let's see how that
works at your theatre...

Usher: Oh, I'm sorry sir, you'll have to leave.

Jack: Why?

Usher: Because you are watching Terminator 4 but you are eating Finding
Nemo 2 popcorn

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David