[P1] Addictive games for the iBook

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 13 19:33:05 PDT 2003

>> Speaking of Doom, one of my favorites was Descent, a great game with really
>> cool, full-3D animation. (Great music, too!) Unfortunately, to my dismay, I
>> discovered that the iBook (700 MHz) speeds up the game play so much that it
>> is unplayable...not to mention that it gives me motion sickness. ;)  I don't
>> suppose that anyone knows of a way to slow the game down, do you? (Or maybe
>> if there's an updated version for OS X? ;)

Aren't you in luck?  Not an OS X version, I'm afraid, but there is an OpenGL version that slows things down a bit.

http://www.descent2.com/mac/

It looks like someone has *tried* to port to OS X, but hasn't gotten it up and running yet.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=7275

I enjoy the Civilization games on my iBook.  Civ3 is a bit slow, but is X native and lots of fun.  I like to fire up Civ1 periodically and get the screen taking up all 1024x.  Runs great and is still fun, imo.

Most anything from Ambrosia is fun.  I'm still partial to Maelstrom, but, admittedly, haven't had much time to game recently.

Ah, yes, if you can find a copy of the Connectix Virtual Game Station, you can play some great Playstation 1 games like Metal Gear Solid on your Mac.  I've been limping through Resident Evil 3 on the iBook when I get a chance.  Free memory cards!  ;^)

Ruffin Bailey

--
This message sent by an unregistered version of The Digest Handler.
If you read email digests, you NEED The Digest Handler!