[P1] Applescript for Dual Monitor Support with modern iBooks

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Thu Jul 31 00:13:57 PDT 2003

Jim Shimozawa wrote the following:

> Has anyone tested this with an external monitor?
> As an owner of a 700 iBook with a 21 inch monitor available,
> I'm interested, but I don't read German and don't quite understand what
> needs to be done here.
> Since this is not a hardware 'hack', I assume it will not invalidate
> Apple warranty. Correct?

I have not tried it as my iBook is not one of the ones it will work with but
I can read German and have the article (I subscribe to the mag).

The first things to check are if you have a Rage or Radeon graphic card?
(using system profiler)...As I understand it this will not work with Rage
cards (these only mirror the output)...(what I have)...

The second thing to do to ensure that this will work with your iBook is to
type the following in Terminal and see what output you get. You can copy and
paste everything inside of the single quotes if you wish to ensure there are
no mistakes. The command is basically a find and print whatever your graphic
card can provide for output from the hardware registry of the machine.

'ioreg -l | grep "display_" '

If you get exactly two lines of output and they list 'DualHead' then you can
use this script to expand the desktop...otherwise, isn't that 12" TFT great
:-)

Let us know what you get from these two steps and then we can proceed from
there if you wish.

BTW,

I think that Apple could very well say that if you went ahead they are not
responsible...I have to read the rest of the article again but as I
understood it this is indeed an apple script but it is a script to make
changes in the open firmware settings....and anytime you mention open
firmware then Apple can back out of any responsibility...

The mag is very responsible though and wouldn't have published it if they
didn't check it first for problems...

Cheers,

Richard