[P1] OS X to install or not to install...

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 6 13:53:48 PDT 2003

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 01:29  PM, Joe Jones wrote:

> I can get 4 or 5 hours out of my battery normally, but when I use Word
> in Office X my battery life tumbles to about 2 hours, even when Word
> is just sitting there (no typing, no saving etc). I'm pretty sure it's
> the app.
>
> I would theorise that it's an MS conspiracy to reduce the battery
> running times of Apple laptops to a figure similar to PC laptops, but
> I know that there's a separate bunch of programmers working on Mac
> products at MS.

Word has a lot of options you can turn off that will lessen the drain
on the battery. Word 4 was a winner. I could turn most such off and it
would only go to the hard drive on very rare occassions. The object is
to lessen the disk access so that the drive can go to sleep and not
drain the battery. The two biggest drains are the screen brightness and
the drive spinning/access.

---
CBS, ABC, NBC and other networks are hereby awarded the "Who Needs
Memorial Day!" trophy. Please send any correspondence about this to the
network presidents.

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com