[P1] scsi -> usb?

Dan Farley danfarley at mac.com
Thu Jun 12 18:21:49 PDT 2003

> - I work in three locations and normally drag only the powerbook with me,
> not any of the peripherals. Must I purchase new jaz and zips, or can I
> connect them to usb somehow?

The price of pen drives with 32/64 MB capacity are only about $20/30 and
they hold a ton more than jaz or zips. They are compatible with Win 2000
plus and OSX w/o drivers. Time to reconsider the need for jaz and zips in my
own humble opinion. Shoot - the scsi-usb adaptors cost more.

> - ditto for serial printers: I strategically placed a couple of Stylewriters
> and wonder if I must toss those or can adapt them to an iBook (which btw I
> should receive tomorrow - 600/640/20g/combo/airport, $800)?

In the before Christmas shopping sales I bought a beautiful HP 930 inkjet
for $39. Its quicker, holds more ink and is mucho quieter that stylewriters.
Mac OSX out of the box is also awfully network friendly, even in a windows
world. I have network printers set up for each location I go to and just
plug in a spare ethernet cable from their network and am ready to go. If
they have any wireless capability - it's even easier.

Bottom Line - Its time to think different again!

Dan