[P1] SMTP on iBook

andy letterspackages at telus.net
Thu Jun 19 22:41:04 PDT 2003

Mike said:

> There are some mail transfer agents you can get, including sendmail.
> However, I would suggest you change ISPs to someone that supports SSL
> connections for email.  It is even possible your ISP does this
> already, but the person you spoke to didn't know.  That was the case
> at my ISP.

    I actually called their support desk, later, in order to get another
techie,
and they told me, regarding my query as to Telus having a server I can
authenticate myself on, so I can send email elsewhere,  "I've never
heard
of this problem, before-- did you try the webmail interface?"

    Well, naturally, if I wanted to use webmail, I wouldn't have asked
the
guy about SMTP. I could use webmail, but didn't want to suffer the
inconvenience. Richard had suggested that, as well, and I had thought of
it-- I've just never been a fan. I much prefer Eudora's features, or
Mail's
interconnectedness with everything else, system-wide.

> An alternative is to send mail through the school's server.  You
> can have several SMTP servers specified with the OS X Mail ap (which
> also handles SSL connections quite slickly).

    Tried it. They gave me the same answer as when I'd asked about using
the apparently "public" wifi network in the library-- they can't allow
me
to do so on *my* laptop, but I am more than welcome to sign a Dell
[*#&$!]
out of the library and do so with that. Sigh.

Richard said:

> For more info you can check the O'reilly site for instructions on how
> to set
> it up and also check out the iBook or X-Unix archives for several
> posts on
> help...I believe Chas mentioned something about it awhile ago with
> links?

    I discovered where the turn it on in my hostconfig file. And have
been working
my way through the O'Reilly howto (
http://www.macdevcenter.com/lpt/a/2692 )
with a copy of 'Unix for Mac OS X' in hand to aid in my rustiness with
vi. I've put
a copy of Bryan Costales' 'sendmail' (
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sendmail3/ )
on reserve at school, and will study this after my finals are over. I'm
quite aware
of the holes I'm likely opening-- considering my UNIX experience was
pretty much
limited to Pine and Lynx, years ago. I'll do my best to plug those up.

    I mentioned I prefered POP based mail to the web-services for
convenience
sake, and then I spent several hours on this. I suppose it was all
masked as
a way of further procrastination from studying calculus.

    Thanks for the pointers, despite my best Googling, I suppose I
didn't quite know
where to start.

    Off to study,

    andy