(SMTP) ...In which he strays further off-topic.

andy letterspackages at telus.net
Fri Jun 20 21:27:06 PDT 2003

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 07:23 a, Mike Beede wrote:

> There's your problem.  A wise old prof once told me, "it's always
> easier
> to get forgiveness than permission."  I'd just have fired up the
> network
> and used their SMTP server.  Since you already asked, that's not an
> option
> (depending on your personal moral code).  I'd do it anyway on the
> principle
> that an officious personage that's taking *my* money and stopping me
> from
> using *my* facilities is to be ignored.  But I'm kind of a dink.

	I did think of taking that approach. Spring semester officially ends
today,
and my exams are over by Wednesday. Sometime in the first week or so of
September I'll probably approach the IT Services Help Desk (or, better
yet,
phone) with the "I just gave you 7500$ and I don't get a stinkin' WEP
password?" I could probably sniff enough data to crack it myself, but
thats
where that 'Moral Code' thing comes in-- unlocked networks are radio
signals, and IMO public domain. Cracking WEP gets me in trouble. And
now that the college has introduced their code of student ethics (which
can have me tossed out for 'unsatisfactory' behavior on campus or off--
though
don't get me started on how vague this code is, and how what resistance
existed was virtually ignored) I watch myself a little more closely. Not
quite willing to risk my B.ID for email between classes.

> So you don't even have network connectivity?  If that's the case,
> forget
> sendmail--the Mail ap will deliver your outgoing mail when you connect
> to the net again.

	I do have network connectivity, if I go to one of the two labs that
allow laptop users. Essentially, a study carrel or two in the corner
with
a few spare ethernet cables strung about. I learned that unplugging a PC
to plug into a laptop in a non-laptop-sanctioned lab is a Bad Thing.

	Note: after an afternoon or two in those carrels, the leather couches
in the WiFi enabled library seem all the more appealing.

> Web mail is an offense against God and man.  My initial advice still
> holds.  Dump that ISP for a good local one.  I can't exactly tell
> you what "good" means, but if they claim that no one's ever wanted
> an authenticated SMTP connection, then they *aren't* "good."

	My previous ISP had been jerking me around because I'd been
using six IPs when the allotment for my account class was two. I have a
few extra computers kicking around, you see. However, when I signed
up for the service, my account class didn't exist, and I never signed
anything
to have me lumped with the home users. I slipped through the cracks
somehow, (probably missed a TOS change or two) and apparently having
been a devoted subscriber of their highspeed service for 5 years didn't
matter.
(I had been on a waitlist for six months to beta test the connection,
at the
beginning. Subscriber #6 [or something close to it] in Saskatoon, SK.)

	I dumped them for the Only Other Game In Town-- Telus, and
they've slowly bought up all the competition, save for that initial
provider,
Shaw.

	(As an aside, I think I deserved the extra IPs just for riding out all
the @home crappiness. If you'll excuse my talk.)

thanks, again,
    andy

    calgary, alberta, canada

ps. sorry for those folks on digest who had to scroll through this!

    andy

    letterspackages at telus.net
    calgary, alberta, canada