[P1] SMC Router setup

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Wed May 7 18:03:01 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 18:43 US/Central, Mike Beede wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 15:34 US/Central, Jack Rodgers wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 01:29  PM, Joyce Ranieri wrote:
>>
>>> My ISP (Road Runner) doesn't allow fixed IP addresses, so I assume I
>>> won't be able to connect to my home network from school. Any
>>> work-arounds?
>>
>> Whenever you are ....

> See <http://www.dyndns.org> for details.

It's bad form to reply to myself, but what the heck.

Just for the fun of it I set this up on my SMC router.  Now *I*
can ssh to *my* iMac.  It was pretty straightforward except that
I entered the wrong IP address on the router and instead of finding
my iMac I was loggin into my Sharp Zaurus (a Linux PDA).  If you
have trouble setting it up feel free to contact me on or off the
list.

You'll want to have a shell account someplace outside that you
can test from, otherwise you may have a hard time telling whether
it's working or not--your traffic will probably never go past your
router.

Regards,

	Mike