Zewroing drive - and out...

Per Brodersen per.brodersen at berlin.de
Sat May 17 01:51:47 PDT 2003

Ich hatte am 17.05.2003 9:00 Uhr eine Nachricht von iBook List unter
<ibook at lists.themacintoshguy.com> erhalten, in der es hieß:

> WAIT! STOP! Shut that door a second, come back in and sit down. Do you have
> to leave immediately? I'm guessing there are a lot of us in here considering
> making the same move you have, and would love to hear your thoughts on how
> it's going. Is it faster? At everything? How's the new screen? Does Word
> Processing feel any different? Do web sites open faster? Does video look a
> lot better? Etc. etc.
>
> Brian

Alright, alright, alright! So seems to be completely OT from now:

Scrolling is noticeably faster (as in Entourage, e. g.), as is surfing with
Safari (that is, acc to the blue progression bar on top). Recoding mp3s to
AAC is much faster (from about 3x to 5.6 times and higher).
What else? Startup is really quickly done now, FruitMenu shows the folder
levels much faster.

I like the screen (my girlf friend jealous again - this time on the display
since she has the graphite 466 clamshell).
It is getting a bit warm - it is definitely bearable but shoud not get
hotter than now (did a lot of copying my old stuff over). The fan came uip
once while in this process which put me into shock at first. Seems kinda
rare.

The keyboard is *really* great. I had put a lot of paper etc. under the old
one in my iBook where the slots for AirPort and memory were located to stop
that kind of flexing. This is history now.

Not too pleasant: The PB does not stand flat and is moving a bit from side
to side. Apple, do your homework.

Aside from that. Very sturdy and *thin* and *light*. Made three friends
switch!
(Just for the record: I had a iBook 600 MHz with 10.2.6 and 384 MB, now it
has turned into a 12'' PB with 10.2.6 and 640 MB).

Hope this helps a bit even if I cannot come up with numbers. Pure
subjectivity.

Will stay tuned a bit then -
Per

__
 "Just when I thought that bicycles no longer existed I saw a woman on one."
  - Michel Contat

Per Brodersen (Ph.D. Candidate, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf)
Winsstraße 16
10405 Berlin, Germany
mailto:per.brodersen at berlin.de
http://www.perbrodersen.de