Help : imovie 2 for iBook SE firewire

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon May 19 00:46:02 PDT 2003

> I have no idea why Chas is so harsh about this Apple freeware, but in
> this
> case Apple blew it. Offering 'upgrades' that render your iBook
> unusable and
> then pulling the only solution, i.e. the download of iMovie 2. The
> solution
> that you can just install the restore is not a good one, as a number of
> restore CD's Apple made(I haven't checked lately, but I will find one,
> if
> necessary for the argument), will reformat your harddrive before
> installing
> anything,

This is not true. You can easily use TomeViewer (OS 9) or Pacifist (OS
X) to pull out individual items from the Software Restore discs. These
are not Apple-provided tools, it must be said, but they DO exist.

My clamshell iBook's iMovie disc is a separate CD from the rest, making
restoration easy. I'm unaware if this was standard practice or not. I
don't even remember what version it is, I suspect it's v.1 rather than
v.2.

>  and if you are on a 600*800 iBook, there is no built-in way to
> backup your files. Go figure.

This also can be changed. There are at least a couple of vendors who
will change out the CD-ROM drive on your iBook for a CD-RW drive for a
nominal cost. There is also still the option of attaching a USB-based
CD-R unit like the Iomega ZipCD (which I had good luck with). These too
are not terribly expensive.

I agree that Apple erred in selling the original iBook with no built-in
CD-RW, but at the time it was not widely deployed (the iMacs released
at the same time also did not have built-in CD-RW).

_Chas_

The iTunes Music Store has sold two MILLION songs in 16 days. If they
can maintain that average over the course of a year, Apple will sell
more music than all other sources of music retail *combined.* And
that's BEFORE you add in countries outside the US, and Windows users.
Woah.