Panther on 366 iBook SE

Jay Boshara jboshara at mchsi.com
Sun Nov 2 10:32:29 PST 2003

Tinman & iBook List:

Thanks for your helpful response.  I wasn?t trying to spark an argument
about Panther on iBooks with my original post (?How to apply for lawsuit
settlement? & Panther on 366?), but instead, I was hoping to learn from
people who have a 366 iBook whether Panther is any snappier than Jaguar on
that particular iBook.

You see, my complaint with Apple about Jaguar is that they enticed me to
spend $129 for Jaguar BEFORE they announced that Quartz Extreme was not
supported on my iBook, and I am still angry about that.  I had already
forked out a lot to buy 10.0 because they said it was stabler than OS 9
(which was the original OS on my iBook), and that proved to be untrue until
Jaguar came along.  Although Jaguar is stabler and maybe 15% snappier than
10.1.5, it was MUCH slower than OS 9.  However, I had grown to like OS X by
then (and had invested quite a lot in it), so there was no going back to OS
9.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to afford a new computer for at least
a year, so I am very curious to see if Panther might improve my iBook's
speed (which is maxed out at 320 MB of RAM), and if so, to what degree.  I
am just trying to determine if Panther will live up to Apple's original
claims about OS X's performance on my iBook before I sink any more cash into
it.

So, to those of you with a 366 iBook SE who have upgraded to Panther from
Jaguar: How has your system and applications speed been affected by the
upgrade?  Do all of your major applications (Office 10.1.5, Photoshop,
InDesign, etc.) work on Panther?  (I know, I know -- my iBook is way too
slow to run Photoshop and InDesign well).  And Tinman, what is the MHz speed
of your iBook, and how much has its speed improved with Panther?

Thanks,
Jay Boshara