[P1] Panther on 12" iBook

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Thu Nov 6 09:37:46 PST 2003

Robert Newman wrote the following:

> I am debating whether to move up to 10.3 on my 12" iBook.  What I read
> about it is good.  I however have three things that must work in
> Panther.  One is my FireWire TDK 48/24/48 CD Burner.  It is not
> supported by OS X 10.2.8, however it works fine in Toast Lite 5.2.1.

Are you hoping to continue to use it with Toast or do you want to be able to
use it in the Finder? Toast should be the same as in 10.2.8 but the Finder
is surely not going to support that drive any more than in 10.2.8 for
burning directly...

> Second is my new Palm Zire 71 which works great with OS X 10.2.8, and

I guess it would depend on how you synch the Palm...if you use Palm desktop
then you should most likely stay with 10.2.8 for a while until some issues
are dealt with in 10.3 (reports that Pdesktop will not start in 10.3)
however if you use mail, address book, and others then it should be fine?

> lastly I have a Sharp DV Camcorder that is not listed in the supported
> Camcorders with iMovie, however it also works great with my present
> incarnation of OS X.  If everything plays well with OS X 10.2.8 can I
> be reasonably certain that they will work with Panther?  It is a pretty
> stock system with no hacks, etc installed.

The OS 'hidden' compatibility should be just as good if not better for such
devices but sometimes things do change...as previously suggested see if you
can check with someone who is currently using 10.3 for compatibility. Or
(also mentioned) do a current backup and confirm that it works and then go
for it, you will have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

HTH,

Richard