[P1] Times RO font question

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sat Nov 8 22:17:46 PST 2003

I didn't pay much attention to the start of this, but FWIW
it may be worth a try doing the following.  Basically, it is
telling your Mac where to go to figure out IP addresses for
urls instead of relying on your cable company to do that.

And re an ISP saying it is a Mac issue:  TCP/IP doesn't
care if you have a Mac, or a Window$, or a Linux, or a
green cheese computer, all it cares about is IP addresses.
When you enter a url in a browser, the browser just sends
that to the ISP which is supposed to figure out the matching
numerical IP address and send your browser request on its
way.  Your ISP tech support should have looked at your
browser's packets, and if techsupp isn't saying your computer
is sending bad browser packets then it's not likely to be
your computer's fault.

(By the way, the OSX (10.2.6 here) "hosts" file is an
invisible file, and according to the comment at the start of
it is used only for startups in single user mode and has only
localhost'ish entries.)

A:
1-In a terminal window, do "nslookup www.yahoo.com" (or
if it is yahoo you are having trouble with, you can
substitute for the "www.yahoo.com" the base url of any site,
a big one you know you can reach would be good).
2-The result should have a few lines.  the first should
start "Server:" and the 2nd should start "Address:".
That 2nd line should continue with a numerical internet
address (four sets of 1, 2, or 3 digits each, each set
separated by a period (".")).  This is the IP address of
the DNS server serving your Macintosh.  (If you don't
know what DNS is, don't worry about it, it can be
explained later.)  If you don't see any Server IP address
here, skip to #6 below.
3-Open your Network System Preferences.
4-(I'm assuming you have cable access (that's what Cox is,
right?))  In your Network SysPref, in the TCP/IP tab pane,
in the box on the right titled "DNS Servers", enter the
IP address of the DNS server you got in step #2 above.
Then click the "Apply Now" to make your new entry take
effect.
5-Try whatever site you have been having trouble reaching.
6-If you still can't reach the site, insert another DNS server
entry above the one you entered in step #4 (or like step #4
says to do, if you skipped to here from step #2).  Use, say,
204.60.203.179, which is a DNS server used by a major ISP
company.  (If you know someone in your area with cable
access, have them do step #1 for you and use what they get
here instead of the IP address I've just given you.  There
*should* not be any significant difference between using the
IP address I've just given and whatever someone gets locally
where you are, but who knows ..., & we want to keep things
simple in your odd case.)
7-Try whatever site you have been having trouble reaching.

B.
----steps 1 -> 7 are the simple fix for some ISP DNS service
    failings; the rest below are troubleshooting----
8-If you still can't reach the site, in a terminal window
do "ping <some big site you can reach>", then after you get
a result do control-c (press the ctrl key and the "c" key at
the same time) to stop the ping; then do "ping <whatever IP
address you got for that big site in step #1>", then the
ctrl-c; then ping the base url of the site you can't reach,
and ctrl-c this ping; then ping the numerical IP address of
that base url (as discovered by a nslookup like step#1),
and ctrl-c this ping.  (Cf 216.109.118.69 is one of many
Yahoo IP addresses.)
9-What the heck, ping the IP address of the DNS server you,
or your friend, found in step #1.
10-Have a friend with a Window$, or a different Mac, unit
try what isn't working for you, while they are connected to
your cable hookup the way you are usually connected to it.
11-Then tell us what you got from the tries in steps #8 - 10,
icluding tell if step #1 didn't work for you and step #9
was to what your friend found.

:-)