Panther bits

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sat Nov 29 15:38:14 PST 2003

Hopefully helpful and interesting notes from recent clean install of Panther
on G3 12" 700 iBook...

1. using a USB floppy drive is much faster both in Finder and in VPC. (it
used to be torture waiting for the floppy to show up on the desktop ca. 1
minute and now it takes only 10 seconds or so!)

2. My problem from 10.2.8 (second update) with internet connections is gone
again :) All IP addresses and connections resolving as expected from
Broadband connection speeds.

3. My battery times (with 2 different batteries that were giving over 3
hours before 10.2.8 and suddenly 10 minutes life span after 10.2.8) still
have not increased back to normal no matter what I do...

4. Activity Monitor is fantastic! Especially love the memory graph and
network information!

5. I hadn't realized how much I like Entourage...after using it for nearly 3
years I tried just using Mail after updating to Panther but besides the good
things such as the pictures showing up in the messages sometimes and sorting
by thread I cannot personally get used to it. Peter, I couldn't bring myself
to try importing the old mailboxes as it just didn't feel right compared to
Entourage. After trying it out for a few weeks I have gone back to MS (never
thought I would type those words).

6. Console seems to be giving me a lot less messages...either the system is
still too new and there are not that many issues compared to Jag by 10.2.8
or things are getting better or they are now being written elsewhere?

7. Labels are great! Anyone know if you can sudo and use labels from
Terminal to label all system items (or even just /System/Library/ items)
upon fresh install for later monitoring of what has been modified with other
software installs? This was great in 9 with the system folder...

Cheers,

Richard