[P1] Panther bits

Kim Gammelgaard kgani at mac.com
Sat Nov 29 16:44:03 PST 2003

After I installed 10.3 on my iBook SE 466/320 MB, my battery times dropped a
bit, and was down to an hour. It had been dropping steadily over the past
few months, not related to system updates at all. I looked into it and found
a good note on batteries using the Apple Care channel in Sherlock.

Basically I had to re-calibrate the battery by draining it so much that the
computer goes to sleep and then charge it fully.

I used a small application named Xbattery to monitor what happened. When I
began, I had a capacity of 1.276 Ah, then after the drain it reset itself to
about 1.7 Ah. As the battery is supposed to be 1.875 Ah, I gave it another
try, ending at 1.4-1.5 Ah, so the next day I tried again, and now it is up
to 1.803, which gives me about 2.5 hours again.

I don't know if that helps you, but I certainly got a new Mac out of it!

Cheers,

Kim