[P1] It's Alive! iBook battery back from the dead!

Stephen Foster foster at pop.ca.inter.net
Fri Oct 10 05:59:10 PDT 2003

>On Mon, 6 Oct 2003  Allan Hise <allan at hise.org> declaimed:
>
>I have a 2002 iBook 700 that hit it's 1 year mark in August. Shortly
>after, my battery stopped charging, and the 'no battery present' icon
>showed in the menu bar within 15 minutes or so after booing the iBook.
>
>I tried the tricks flying acorss the internet... reset PRAM, reset PMU,
>reset NVRAM. Nothing worked. ....
>I was surfing the apple discussion board today and ran across an
>interesting suggestion. Take a solid piece of wire and short the
>2 outermost terminals of the battery to reset the battery's internal
>circuits.

I wish I'd known about trying that before I bought a new battery a
couple of days ago. Might still try it on the old one, which shows
all four green lights for four seconds even 'though it's been out of
the machine for days. In the machine, three-five minutes and nothing
left.
For the new battery I believe the procedure is to fully charge it,
then run it on battery until exhausted, fully recharge and proceed as
if I was normal. If that's wrong I'd appreciate any guidance.
My Apple reseller told me this week that two-three months ago they
got a notice from Apple that batteries were not going to be covered
by Applecare in the future.
To me that indicates there's a possible problem with the batteries
for which they no longer want to be responsible. As I thought these
batteries weren't supposed to suffer from the problem of setting a
partial charge as the new "full charge"  and thereby incrementally
reducing the usable life of a "full charge", I wonder if Apple now
knows this isn't so and the limitations of older rechargeable
batteries also apply?
Stephen
--
-
"A man cannot step into the same river twice; for neither is it the