Battery Life

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 12 05:27:28 PDT 2003

One of the joys of OS X is being able to open so many applications and
switch quickly between them. This is OK with a Mac using AC but it
drains the juice when running a Powerbook or iBook on battery.

Process Viewer, in the Applications:Utilities folder, will show the
percentage of CPU usage and the % of Memory usage.

CPU Monitor shows a graph in color of what is happening. Of course, as
Krishna Murti (sp) pointed out, the observer affects what is being
observed and some of the activity show is caused by CPU Monitor and
Process Viewer.

What interested me was see how much activity was occuring with all of
the appls I had open. When I closed them, the activity dropped. Some
are just stitting there not using the cpu very much while others are
quite noticeable. Any application doing background processing will be
using battery power as well as those applications that energize for a
few moments.

Open CPU Monitor and select Display Expanded Window so you can see the
activity flow. Now as you switch among windows, do work, etc. you can
see how your battery is being drained and when the biggest drains
occur. As you open and close applications you can see how they affect
the battery drain.

It would be interesting to see how earlier versions of X compare with
10.2.8.

---

<http://www.JackRodgers.com>
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>