[P1] iBook and DVD movies

Ken Anderson kanderson at theglobal.net
Sun Oct 12 10:47:26 PDT 2003

On Sunday, October 12, 2003, at 02:20  AM, Richard McKay wrote:

> [...]
> will
> use during the flight and have the windows / program interfaces at the
> stage
> where you will use them (and then minimize them to the dock), as well
> as
> having the DVD in the drive and started to at least past the legal
> bits and
> then put your iBook to sleep (I would also suggest disabling the unused
> network / internet connections in system prefs by unchecking the boxes
> next
> to each type of interface...airport especially as this will otherwise
> constantly search for new networks and drain battery power).
>
> Other notes to consider are that the noise level is really quite high
> in an
> aircraft and the volume will need to be near full (at least for these
> poor
> ears of mine!) It may sound counterproductive but I use earplugs that
> you
> should be able to find in any drug store to cancel the noise of the
> aircraft
> and then use headphones with the volume at near max to enjoy the
> movie...
>
> Screen brightness is again dependant on what time of day you fly but
> it may
> also need to run at full...or you can wait till the lights go down and
> most
> are sleeping...will help tremendously with brightness and sound volume
> as
> well as interruptions.
>
> unless you are going overseas or completely across the country you may
> find
> that there are many distractions that will require sleeping mode
> again...food and beverage passes of the crew, etc..
>
> I don't have them but it may be worth trying the Bose sound cancelling
> headsets to see if they are worth the money should you travel often.
>
> BTW, you can happily leave your iBook in sleep mode during take off and
> landing (indeed during the entire trip!) as it will not interfere with
> any
> plane electronics in this mode and may be useful when going through
> security
> zones of airports.
>
> I have personally run the movie in full screen mode as it makes it
> easier on
> the eyes. I have always wondered if the full screen mode or the window
> is
> better for battery power and without supporting evidence suggest the
> full
> screen mode is lower drain. I can only go on the experience of using
> iTunes
> visual effects with the same issue (full screen vs. window) where I
> found
> that the window mode required much more battery power due to the need
> refresh the rest of the desktop and contrast differences as well as any

Thank you very much for the information guys!
I searched the help file as well as the Apple site and failed to find
this kind of information that answered all my questions and then some!
This list is a GREAT source. Armed with this I am now looking forward
to the trip that much more.

One more question though has been raised about the sleep mode.  I have
heard that it is best to be in sleep mode for the security checks thus
making for fast approval but I wonder as to how that affects battery
life?  Is the sleep mode affected by open apps at sleep time or does it
not matter?

Ken