OS X 10.3 Early Adopter

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Sat Oct 25 23:02:34 PDT 2003

Surely I can't be the only one; I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned
their experiences here (apart from people who had installed the beta
builds, for one reason or another).

I've installed and am running 10.3 on my good ol' 466 Mhz Key Lime
iBook. Installation was uneventful, and I've had no problems to speak
of. Performance is more or less the same; perhaps *slightly* faster,
certainly no slower. Battery life has been unaffected; I'm still
getting just a bit more than 4 hours. (Though I'll admit, the battery
had been removed during the installation. I used the AC Adapter during
the process, but the battery is still relatively new, and I wanted to
make sure it's completely discharged for the first few cycles.)

In fact, the only problem I'm having is with the new, slightly
condensed version of Helvetica that's part of the System; I can't seem
to select the older version to view messages in Mail. That, and the
little camera icons in the Internet Explorer "Scrapbook" are drawing
incorrectly. I can't think of anything else. (I had more trouble
reinstalling the software for my printer than anything else; and that
was entirely because I had forgotten that I needed to download the most
recent version.)

Two caveats: I chose the "Archive and Install" route, instead of
upgrading my existing files, and I ran Disk Warrior just before the
installation, to make sure there were no existing problems that could
have caused complications. (And based on advice I read elsewhere, I ran
"Repair Permissions" soon after installation.

Anyone else get a package from FedEx on Friday?

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net