[P1] Power ON or OFF

Ken Anderson kanderson at theglobal.net
Mon Sep 1 09:34:14 PDT 2003

On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 07:11  PM, don hinkle wrote:

> Ken, how do you set your timing so as to not let the iBook sleep
> overnight all the time? Or do you just use sleep as a manual thing and
> keep the energy saver set for No Sleep? Or wot and how?
> -don
>
> Ken Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 09:47  AM, Chris Weinkauf wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> Just a quick question.  Would it do any harm for me to leave my
>>> iBook on 24/7? or should I shut it down at night?  Just migrated
>>> from the PC world where I had to shut the thing off or it might blow
>>> up.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Chris
>> Chris,
>> First off, welcome to the iBook and Mac community as a whole! That
>> said..
>> I leave my own iBook on 24/7 and don't always let it sleep, same with
>> my G3 tower.  By not always sleeping overnight the Unix self
>> maintenance stuff runs (at like 3 AM) and keeps things running smooth
>> and problem free.
>> At least that's how I do it.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong
>> on the maintenance things.
>> Enjoy your new iBook!
>> Ken

Don,

I have system sleep set for "never", screen off in 10 minutes (for
better screen life), and "put hard disk to sleep when possible"
checked.  When I want a true "sleep" I simply close the lid fully, but
most of the time I leave it open about an inch when I am not using it.
I have, amongst other things, email and Backup running so they go about
their business at scheduled times.  IMO, leaving the lid up an inch
still allows heat to dissipate but yet offers some dust protection.
It's a trade off but works for me the way I am wanting it to.  I have
never had a heat issue doing this unlike what I have heard if one runs
full on with the lid closed. Software or something is needed to run
like that.