[P1] Power ON or OFF

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Mon Sep 1 07:19:34 PDT 2003

On Sunday, Aug 31, 2003, at 19:03 US/Central, Pat D.Stephens wrote:

> As I sent that question off, I realized the answer, but thanks for the
> info.  Now, does the program run on a specific day of the week?  If
> so, I can just make it a habit to leave it open that one night every
> week.  Haven't I seen something about it running on Wednesday?

It runs daily, weekly, and monthly, as described here in my TiBook's
/etc/crontab file (which I've never looked at before):

> #minute hour    mday    month   wday    who     command
> #
> # Run daily/weekly/monthly jobs.
> 15      3       *       *       *       root    periodic daily
> 30      4       *       *       6       root    periodic weekly
> 30      5       1       *       *       root    periodic monthly

That means that the weekly script runs Friday morning at 0400
and the monthly one at 0500 on the 1st of the month.  Of course,
another thing you can do is just change the "3", "4", and "5"
in your version of /etc/crontab to "12", "13", and "14".  It's
not like your system will grind to a halt if you run it.  Another
thing you can do is use the commands "su periodic daily",
"su periodic weekly", or "su periodic monthly".  They don't
really have to run at the precisely specified times.  And,
finally, to answer your question, yes you can just leave your
laptop open, but you need to do it every day to get the daily
script, every Thursday night to get the weekly one, and on
the last night of the month to get the monthly one!

Of course, if you want a GUI thing that probably just does
the same thing for you, be my guest. That's why there's
horse racing . . . .   Most folks don't have a Mac because
they can run things on the command line.  I am somewhat of
an anomaly in that regard.

	Mike