[P1] wireless signal problem

Joe Jones joham at jo-ham.com
Mon Sep 8 14:40:36 PDT 2003

The airport antenna in the iBook runs around the edge of the screen and
if they've replaced the inverter board (which is an in-line part
between the graphics chip and the physical screen itself), located in
the screen housing, then I would suspect that they have damaged the
antenna cable somewhere along its length. The most likely point would
be where it passes the clutch assembly in its journey between the main
chassis and the screen - it's a narrow gap there and that site id often
the point of failure for the LCD's video cable too.

If you can get hold of a wireless antenna that would fit the airport
card (there are several 3rd party 'pigtails' that will fit, you might
want to plug that in and boot up (with the keyboard open so you can get
access to the airport card with the external antenna). If you get full
signal with this antenna then you know your internal one is broken.

You can replace it yourself with a set of T6 and T8 drivers, some old
credit cards, a couple of small screwdrivers and a lot of patience, or
you can send it back to Apple - taking an iBook apart is a rewarding
but difficult exercise.

Joe