ibook track pad not working...

M. Kadioglu m.kadioglu at mimarchitect.com
Mon Sep 15 08:01:24 PDT 2003

Hello Group. I  discovered that the ibook I  just bought on eBay
recently has a defective track pad connector. The connector is not
soldered on the logic board but completely loose. The unit is past its
warranty service period and Apple refuses to replace the logic board
unless I  spend $295. I  went ahead and had the legs soldered on to the
logic board. Now the connection is like it is supposed to be. However,
now I  have completely lost the little trackpad action that I  used to
have... The "System Pereferences-Mouse" control panel no longer
displays/recognizes that I  have a track pad. I  have checked against
another ibook, and found the connector to be soldered correctly, and
the track pad is also not defective as I  was able to install and test
it on another ibook. So it appears to me that I  have either bad
soldering, or the logic board/track pad functions are no good, OR....
there is some kind of software that I  need to reinstall so that the
track pad can be recognized. I  am running 10.2.6 at the moment, and do
not have OS9 on the problem iBook. Any tips would be greatly
appreciated. Matt.