OT - $2500 grant, what to buy??

J. Keenan jkeenan at islands.vi
Tue Sep 23 03:35:48 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 03:01 AM,  Dan Farley
<danfarley at mac.com> wrote:

> My JROTC unit received a $2500 grant to create a 1 hour "World War II
> Veterans of Dixie County FL" video. (This is half of what we
> requested...
> But hey,,,better than nothing)
>
> I was thinking on purchasing two refurb eMacs, 1 with the super drive,
> and
> two digital camcorders.
>
> Thoughts, purchase recommendations, sources for cameras or additional
> funding??

Congratulations Dan. Sounds like it will be fun. We got a small grant a
few years ago and bought the Sony digital camcorders (I think it was
the DRV-120) and found them a good buy. They've been used by teachers
and elementary students for 3 years and give great video. We are
getting an additional DRV-250 this year for about $400. I would suggest
that you get a GOOD tripod. I like the one from SONY that has remote
control built into the handle. Possibly a wireless mic if you are going
to be doing interviews in noisy places. Maybe an extra battery and a
battery charger for the camera. Lots of tapes for the camera.
Good luck and contact me off list if you have any other questions.

Joan Keenan
Science Resource Teacher
Charles H. Emanuel School
Kingshill, VI 00850