[P1] OS X 10.2.8 Update Deleted

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Thu Sep 25 11:24:34 PDT 2003

On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 12:51  PM, Gloria Vogel wrote:

> Just checked with my husband who tells me that he installed first the
> 10.2.7 and then the 10.2.8 on his desktop G4 and so far it is working
> fine although he cautioned me about doing it to my dual processor G4
> desktop and certainly not my 600 iBook since Mac has now called it
> back.  He was advised by Mac to leave his alone since it is currently
> working fine.  I plan to take his advice until we get the all clear
> from Mac.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
>
> Gloria

I was the first kid on my block to download and install the update on
Tuesday before it was pulled. I installed it on my desktop G4 and saw
no problems. I installed it on my iBook and got problems. The first
thing I noticed was a bunch of generic icons on the desktop. Those
seemed to have figured out who they are in the intervening days. The
biggest problem, however, was with DHCP IP serving. It kept showing an
IP, but saying it was self-served. Coincidentally, I was having
simultaneous issues with Cox Communications (my ISP) because I had just
moved and they had me turned off instead of transferred. It took awhile
to figure out that it was two problems at work: 10.2.8 and Cox.
Finally, got everything back Wednesday morning.

I ran the permissions fix and both the G4 and the iBook and it fixed a
bunch, and I mean a whole bunch, of permissions. Things seem to be
working now. From now on, however, I'm going to give Apple at least 24
hours before I download and install any updates.

Charles Pearce [charlesp at ksu.edu]