iBook as a desktop

Glenn R. Fong fongg at t-bird.edu
Sat Apr 24 00:57:39 PDT 2004

> the 12" Powerbooks and all the iBooks only have
> the mini-DVI video interface. This might restrict your long-term choice
> of monitor

I don't know about the new iBooks, but the new PBs also come with mini-VGA
adapters included.  And DVI actually expands monitor choices both in the
long-term (newer monitors have DVI) and quality-wise (given the superiority
of the digital over analog interface).

I swore off desktop machines over six years ago (my last was an LC475!), and
have since used three different PBs/iBooks as desktop replacements with
accompanying external monitors, keyboards/mice, and external drives.  But I
personally have never felt it necessary to either close the lid or use a
bookend dock.  The newer designs placing all cabling on one side really
makes plugging and unplugging our books a breeze.

I'll never go back to the days of having both a desktop and laptop.  I like
the idea of not paying for two processors, while always leaving one dormant
at any given time.  And no more synching worries: Do I have all the files I
need on my laptop? Do I have time to synch/transfer files to my laptop
before going on the run?  Now when I go mobile, I know for a fact that I
have my entire computing universe with me.  At the same time I have the
ergonomics of a desktop when I plug into my deskbound peripherals.