[P1] iBook as a desktop

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sat Apr 24 02:27:25 PDT 2004

Am 23/4/04 8:19 am schrieb "Tom Burke" unter <tom_burke at mac.com>:

> the 12" Powerbooks and all the iBooks only have
> the mini-DVI video interface.

> I am looking to buy a new laptop & considering the iBook - the new ones
> just announced are hard to resist.  I do want to be able to attach a
> bookends unit and use it as a desktop.  In that configuration, I'd keep
> the screen closed and use an aux keyboard, mouse, and monitor.  Is that
> doable on the iBook?  I know it is on the Powerbook (my other option)

I am sure it was only a typo but to clarify the 'mini-DVI' bit above...

Only the 12" PB comes with mini-DVI, the other PB models have DVI connectors
and none of the iBooks have either. The iBooks come with VGA outputs by
means of an adapter supplied by Apple. There is the option to purchase
separately another adapter from Apple to have RCA video out as well as
S-Video but I am not aware of any capability for DVI with iBooks.

<http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html>

Brian mentioned the main concern about using the iBook in a closed lid
configuration (by means of the firmware hack)...Heat. AFAIK, the iBook
counts on the lid being open (at least to a small angle) to allow for heat
loss and air exchange above the keyboard, etc...Closing it while using it as
a desktop will affect the lifespan of internal components for this reason.

The new iBooks are indeed hard to resist and would no doubt provide an
excellent means to replace a desktop machine under certain conditions but
there are limitations (as with any computer).

Cheers,

Richard