[iBook] What would YOU do?

Steve Wassenich wassensf at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 12 07:54:18 PST 2004

Fearsome Orange wrote:

> I'm in the market for an upgrade from my dual USB iBook (G3 600mhz).
> I'm looking at the G4 1Ghz iBook that I can get for about $950 USD
> where I am.  This is bare bones, but it will have the Airport Extreme
> card and a Combo drive and 256mb RAM.
>
> Tonight a friend of mine says he has a powerbook to sell.  G4 867mhz,
> 640mb RAM, Superdrive, 60gb HD, bluetooth, Airport Extreme etc.
>
> He wants $1200 USD for it.  It's a year and a half old.
>
> What would YOU do, and why?

I'm assuming the Powerbook is a 12", so the screen size and resolution
are the same.  The processor speed is close enough that it's not really
a factor either.  Since the Powerbook is the more expensive, I'd define
what advantages the Powerbook may have and decide if I need those
capabilities.

The Powerbook has twice the hard drive space, can burn DVDs, and can
drive another monitor independently without hacking the firmware.  Do
you need any of those capabilities?  On the minus side, the iBook's
plastic case is arguably better suited for mobile use and may also
allow more range in wireless mode.  The iBook is also new, with the
accompanying warranty coverage in case something goes wrong.

Personally, I'd go with the Powerbook.  The Superdrive isn't a big deal
to me, but more hard drive space is always good and the dual-head
capability would be very cool.  They've proven quite reliable as well.
If your friend bought the extended warranty and it's still in effect,
that could also be another advantage for the Powerbook.

Steve W.