[iBook] External F/W Drive no longer boots

Keith Parker parker at stlouissedans.com
Mon Dec 27 13:14:37 PST 2004

Hi All,

A few days ago my iBook stopped sleeping and the call to Applecare
resulted in the Tech person telling me to "archive and install", which
I did, it didn't change the sleeping issue. It did cause me to have to
make lots of changes to the configuration to get back to where my
system was before.

That's about when I noticed that my external 80gig F/W drive stopped
booting. I was trying to maintain this drive as a security backup in
case my iBook stopped working, I could move the external drive to my G4
350MhZ and have all of my files and applications intact.

I have since formatted the external drive and re-installed the OS
10.2.1 and copied my main "user" over and then ran the 10.2.8 combo
updater trying to get it back to a bootable condition, but no luck.

When I hold down the "option" key at startup and select the external
drive, then clicking on the "right arrow" to continue, the computer
screen changes to the white background with the grey apple in the
center and gets hung-up there.  In addition, the external F/W drive
fails to mount, when booting from the internal drive, and must be
turned off and back on to mount on the Desktop.

I'm thinking about using Carbon Copy Cloner to see if I can get a
bootable system on the external drive, but I'd like to ask everyone
about other possible solutions first.

Thanks for your time !

Keith Parker