[P1] New iBook Owner / iBook Hard drive partition

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Thu Feb 12 18:24:23 PST 2004

Angus Wallace wrote:

> Hey Tyler,
>
> There are (at least) three Linux distros that run on PowerPC (mac)
> hardware. Yellow Dog Linux, Debian Linux and Gentoo linux (they're in
> approximate order of ease of use). Linux runs on any mac processor
> greater than a G3, and almost certainly has lower system requirements
> than Panther.

Just for a matter of completeness, I need to point out that Mandrake
also puts out a distro that works on PPC (Macs).

It's the one I've used and found it easy to setup.  Worked just like my
Intel PC Linux boxes.

However, I've become such a fan of OSX that I don't bother with Linux
anymore.  I no longer have it installed on my G4 (never did put it
on my iBook).

It still runs my webserver/mailserver/sshd server on my Intel PC,
but all my interactive use is now on OSX.  I'll probably eventually
move my web/mail/sshd to my G4 (or G5 someday).  But for now it just
works, so no pressing need to change.

There I go getting side-tracked again.....

Good luck with LinuxPPC!

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator