[P1] Clean install of 10.3 over 10.3

david davidwb at spymac.com
Tue Feb 17 15:30:30 PST 2004

On 2/17/04 1:04 PM, "Alexandre Leroux" <alexandre at leroux.net> wrote:

> The finder crashes, so I'm thinking it's really Panther itself. You
> really think creating a new user could help ??

Yes, I am responsible for 2 labs of OS X machines and it has become my first
diagnosis step for most OS X ills. It is amazing how many problems exist
somewhere in the user's account.

> Many thanks for your answer David !

> Has anyone tried to cleanly install Panther over Panther and can answer
> my previous inquiries ?

Basically like OS 9, you can do a clean install of OS X over another OS X
installation. (I had to do it with Jaguar when an update went wrong.) It
will create a folder called Previous System and put the old System & Library
into it. Some programs put items into the root Library's Application Support
and other folders. You'll either have to manually move them or reinstall the
applications involved - they include Adobe products, Stuffit, Keynote, Palm,
and Stone. (It isn't a complete list.) I'm of two minds as to whether
manually copying them is a good idea. I've settled the matter by keeping a
clone of my System on an external drive.

david