[P1] wifi-access question

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Wed Feb 18 09:30:38 PST 2004

> But I couldn't log in - is it because the owner has
> restricted the access or am I doing something wrong... ?

Probably because the network has been password-protected (and sensibly
so). I think if it were restricted by Ethernet or MAC address you
wouldn't be able to see it at all (though I may be wrong about that).

> Also: Later this spring I will have another computer (Windows) moving
> into
> my household - should I buy the Apple airport station or is there
> another
> recommendation?

It really depends on what you want to do with it. A Windows computer
should have no trouble joining any WiFi network you set up, even with
an Airport Base Station; there are also many less expensive
alternatives that are reasonably easy to configure and just as
reliable.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net