clamshell battery problems

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 24 03:43:30 PST 2004

I recently bought a new battery for my clamshell (466SE, 96MB, OS X
10.3.1), because it wouldn't work (and boot) w/o the power adapter
anymore. The new battery charged fine the first time, I used it to
browse and read email for several hours spread over two days, in between
I let it sleep by itself. Finally after the battery was drained I tried
to charge it.

But it won't charge anymore, the light stays amber all the time (over 48
hours at the moment). It won't even boot w/o the adapter. When I use the
adapter I can get it to boot, but it won't charge either since the light
stays green.

What I've done so far:
- resetting the Open Firmware
- resetting the PMU
- booting from OS 9 CD
- booting from 9.2.2 HD
Haven't zapped the PRAM yet.

What I'm thinking now is could it be that the charger itself is bad, is
there a way to test this? But then it's strange it worked the first time.

BTW Somebody donated a yo-yo adapter to me once, but it needs a
soldering job, and I don't have such an iron...

*
*