[P1] Newbie question: iBook upgrades?

Richard J Laue rjlaue.lists at verizon.net
Fri Feb 27 12:50:23 PST 2004

>Hello all,
>
>I am completely new to Apple (if you discount computer science in
>grade 8 with apple ][e's) and have just this week purchased a G3 600
>12.1" iBook (dual usb).

I also own this exact same iBook.  I have a different opinion about
upgrading than has been offered so far.

I would definitely max out the RAM, because that will give you your
biggest "bang for the buck."  And also, bring your OS as up-to-date
as you can.

But I would suggest NOT upgrading the internal hard drive, nor the CD
drive.  At least, not yet.  Here's my reasoning:

Jean-Paul is brand new to this whole Mac scene, as he says.  I think
it would be smart for him to get some time and experience on his
iBook before he sinks a lot of money into upgrading it.  The 600mhz
is somewhat slow by today's standards, and as he gets some
experience, he might discover that he would like to move up to
something newer and faster.  Particularly if he's into graphics or
into music composition and editing.

If he DOES decide to move up, better to put his money into the newer
Mac than having it stuck in the older one.

If Jean-Paul decides that he likes his present iBook, and wants to
keep it, then he has 2 ways to go:

1)  He can upgrade the hard drive (and the optical drive, if
appropriate) at that time, or

2)  He can buy an  EXTERNAL hard drive and/or optical drive.

Personally, I would do #2 no matter what, because the external drive
serves as a backup, and it is transferable to any new Mac Jean-Paul
gets in the future.

Now, if Jean-Paul is a techie-kind-of-guy, and LIKES playing around
with this stuff and doing his own upgrades -- well, that's a whole
different ball game!

Cheers -
RJLaue