[P1] Newbie question: iBook upgrades?

Guy McMickle fieroguy2m6 at fuse.net
Fri Feb 27 13:25:56 PST 2004

I have to disagree with the difficulty of replacing the optical drives.
  If you've gotten the computer pulled apart as far as the hard drive,
it's about the same difficulty pulling the optical drive as the hard
drive.  Just be VERY careful when removing the paper thin IDE ribbon
cable.  I accidentally pulled mine up off the optical drive (it's
attached with adhesive) and broke it.  Also, pay special attention to
your Airport antenna when pressing the case back together.  I managed
to damage both my IDE cable AND Airport antenna during my hard drive
upgrade.  Turned out more costly than I anticipated!  I am happy with
the 40 GB 5200 RPM drive I installed though.  Much better than the 10
GB the iBook came with!

-Guy McMickle