Networking Problems

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 14:05:57 PST 2004

e.mkeene <e.mkeene at wap.org> wrote:
>FIREWIRE is the operant word. The B & W's can't use firewire or target
>disk mode for filesharing, transfers, etc.

Any Mac which can use OS X.2.x or higher and has FW (built-in _or_ added)
can use IP-over-FW for filesharing, transfers, etc. It's builtin to
X.3.x, but X.2.x needs the addition of the IP-over-FW devkit from Apple's
Developer Connection:

<http://developer.apple.com/firewire/IP_over_FireWire.html>

I've used IP-over-FW filesharing on my PM9600/G3/X.2.8, so I think a B&W
should have no troubles. It's waaaaaaaaay faster than even 100BT BTW, so
for rapid transfers of large files it's well worth giving it a go.

I do however concur B&Ws cannot boot into FW target disk mode. :-)

hth,

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700