Applecare got me in trouble

Jim Shimozawa kotonk2 at mac.com
Fri Feb 27 14:37:37 PST 2004

Hello:
I finally got Applecare (on eBay) for my iBook this week and I find
myself in trouble.
Even though I had no problem with my iBook (12" 700/640/CD), I could
not resist running the TechTool program that came with my Applecare. I
remember reading vaguely someone (maybe not on this list) saying that
this was not a good idea if you're running Panther.  I don't remember
why not.
Anyway, it ran for at least 30 minutes, and before it ended the iBook's
power ran out and it turned itself off.
I started having trouble the next day - with the beach ball no longer
turning, missing cursor, and most annoying - the screen with numerous
horizontal lines looking like a TV with bad reception. At one time I
saw what looked like old DOS command lines with messages 'entering
system dump routine', 'waiting for remote debugger connection', etc.
Unix syntax - I suppose. I could not force quit any application.
My iBook happens to have a serial number included in a recent class
action suit against Apple by some people who own iBooks with bad logic
board.
Without hesitation, I took my iBook to the closest Apple store for
repair, but now I'm not sure if this was a problem I inadvertently
created or a bad logic board waiting to reveal its ugly head sooner or
later. Did I do the right thing?
Jim