[P1] sbc yahoo dsl

Chris Weiss cweiss at stickyc.com
Tue Jan 13 16:35:16 PST 2004

We have SBC/Yahoo! DSL and are pretty happy with it. Not really sure about
the pricing, SBC is notorious for nickel-and-diming you. We just pay the
bill and deal with it.
Note that I only really use it for connectivity, I dont use their web stuff
and it's not my primary email account. I used to use them for usenet news,
I'd give 'em a B- in that category - good group selection, no binaries,
average latency/completion/storage. As far as speed goes, I've never had
trouble getting the guaranteed 1.5mb downloads from places that can serve it
up that fast, and 128kb up (with the caveat below)
One thing to note with SBC DSL (and probably Earthlink DSL as well) is that
the big download cap and small upload cap can cause conflicts. If you're
downloading and uploading large files at the same time, filling the upload
bandwidth, there's not enough left-over bandwidth to send the ACK messages
(messages back to the site you're downloading from that the bits you just
downloaded are OK), so the upload speed grinds to a halt while the other end
waits for these messages.
Usually, this is only an issue with stuff like P2P software (Gnutella and
such), but if you do a lot of work with your .mac account (posting pics and
such), it can bog things down.