[P1] sbc yahoo dsl

John Paul Moore johnpaulmoore at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 16:45:47 PST 2004

I cannot get dsl in my neighborhood because I live in an old
subdivision with old phone lines Bell never bothered to replace, so I
use my only broadband choice, a cable modem. I did, however, try to
help a friend set up his imac on sbc/yahoo last year. I say I tried to
help him because the best we could do, after two hours on the phone
with tech support, was a stupid kludge that let him use netscape mail
but not explorer mail or mac mail and the tech couldn't even tell us
why. For some reason, instead of just a live dsl line, this ungodly
sbc/yahoo combination needlessly complicated the set up, which had to
be web based. It was beyond bizarre. My friend, on my advice and the
assurance of sbc tech support that things were not likely to get any
better any time soon, switched to earthlink broadband the next day and
has seemed reasonably happy with it. At least he gets to use his mac
mail client and address book. These two corporations may have gotten
their act better together from last year, but at that point, it sucked
and real bad too. hth, jpm