[P1] Airport problems

Christian Dupuis cdupuis at lcc.ca
Wed Jan 14 09:58:38 PST 2004

On 27-Dec-03, at 11:48 AM, Mike Beede wrote:

> You're saying that the ibook has an IP when it's connected via
> cable, or via wireless?  Can you go to the network preferences,
> choose "airport", and show us what it says.  Then choose "TCP/IP"
> and show us that too.
>
> Next, open a terminal window and enter "ping 216.239.39.99".
> Do you get a reply, or does it timeout or say "network unreachable"
> or something?  If that works, try running "dig www.google.com".
> Do you get a timeout message or a screenful of information?

Sorry about reading this thread late... Crazy back to work schedule
after the holidays!

As far as I can tell, this looks like an issue related to the DNS
entries not being distributed by the router. I will therefore ask the
original poster the two following questions:

1.	Does your broadband ISP establish a connection via DHCP or PPPoE?
2.	Did you enter DNS addresses from your provider (or other known DNS
entries, I've used other addresses with success on the D-Link, Netgear,
GVC, SMC Barricade, Apple and Linksys units I have installed) in the
DNS fields of your unit?

That's pretty much all that's needed to get this stuff up and going.
These broadband gateways are a blessing, in comparison to some of the
crap being distributed by ISPs as client connection software (which,
generally, proceeds to screw up the systems you install them on). Not
always happy with their web client management interface, though (no
real GUI standards in access to the fields, and they don't even agree
to a common terminology for mundane tasks like mac address filtering,
virtual servers, port security and so forth...)

It's always a lot of fun to have a discussion with one of the ISP tech
support guys, when they start telling you "you need our software, we
don't support the mac, etc, etc", then you say "huh, huh, why don't you
just give me the DNS numbers, the mail server addresses, the news
server address, and let me take care of the rest."

Internet provider support. Yeah, right.

Chris Dupuis
The "I don't care what it runs on, just gimme the numbers" guy