[P1] OT: I'm Back on Broadband!!

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Tue Jan 20 03:03:52 PST 2004

Dan Farley wrote:
> Having moved last year from one of the nations first areas with cable
> internet service - I've been in 36kbs hell for the last year when I moved to
> the sticks of North Florida. Today my local installer completed my Direcway
> satellite installation and I'm smiling again! Initial speed tests out to
> 400kbs down. Finally, I can download a software update w/o waiting  all
> nite.
>
> After the installation of the rather large dish (about the size of two
> standard TV dishes) the inside setup is a modem about twice the size of a
> cable modem with an ethernet connection on the back. I plugged my original
> airport in - set it up for ethernet DHCP and we were off. One original
> clamshell iBook, one dual usb iBook, dual 800 powermac and a Dell all
> sharing the same wireless signal. Too cool! Just in time for the 3 day
> weekend!
>
> Loving Life
> Dan

How's the latency?  I just spent the holidays at my Sister's place in
Ill.  She's out in the 'sticks' also, so she too had satellite installed.
I got to play with it while I was out there.

I also saw 400kbs downloads, but the interactive throughput did not
feel as fast as my 144kbs IDSL line at home.  Even trying to read
remote email with a text-based email reader (Elm) was as slow or
slower than a modem.

At least that was my experience.....
--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator